Every woman dreams of meeting her “prince” and being wed in a pretty dress on a beautiful day. Thanks to fairy tale stories and romance movies. Wedding movies are usually big hits because of the memorable, heart wrenching scenes that are so loved by the female audience. Of course while some men may only go to these movies with their ladies, a lot may actually secretly enjoy the film as well. So here are some of the most memorable scenes from wedding movies that made many people smile, laugh or even cry.
1. My Bestfriend’s Wedding was a hit movie in 1997, starring Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz, Dermot Mulroney and Rupert Everett. Overall the movie itself was very funny and engaging, but the most memorable scenes were when Julianne proposed Michael and Kimberly caught them. Kimberly runs away from Michael, Michael chases her and Julianne chases Michael.
2. The Wedding Planner is a romantic wedding movie about a girl named Mary (Jennifer Lopez) who had to plan her dream man’s wedding, which is to another woman other than her. Who could forget the scene of how they first met right in the middle of the road. Mary was walking and her stilettos got stuck in a hole and Steve Edison (Matthew McConaughey) saved her from being hit by a car. They will meet again, with her as the wedding planner for his wedding.
3. Father of the Bride is a 1991 hit film about a man, George Banks (Steve Martin) who had to give his daughter, Annie (Kimberly Williams) away in a wedding with much reluctance of a doting father. The scene at the church where George was contemplating if he would screw up or not. He composes himself and the wedding ceremony goes through without mishaps. It captures perfectly how every parent, not only the father feels that bittersweet feeling of giving their daughter away in marriage.
4. The Wedding Singer stars Drew Barrymore (Julia Sullivan) and Adam Sandler (Robbie Hart) in a romantic wedding movie in the 1998 hit film. The two have their own partners, one who left the groom on the lurch of their wedding day and another who regularly cheated on her. The most popular and memorable scene is the part when Robbie sings “Grow Old with You” to Drew Barrymore. It is a scene that will make this movie a classic wedding movie of all time.
5. My Big Fat Greek Wedding tells about the story of a Greek woman, Fotoula “Toula” Portokalos (Nia Vardalos) who married a non-Greek man Ian Miller (John Corbett) amidst protests from both sides of the family, especially from Toula’s dad. Most memorable scene was the groom meeting the brothers. They warned him that if he hurt her, they will kill him and make it look like an accident. It was quite hilarious, but shows how protective brothers or family can be.
6. Muriel’s Wedding was a hit movie about how an awkward, socially inept and nerdy girl Muriel (Toni Colette) transformed into a beautiful swan named Mariel and marries a handsome swimmer. One of the most memorable scenes in the movie is the first time they met each other on the poolside. The proposal was not really a proposal but more of an arranged marriage and while they were talking about different things, Muriel asks an obviously white guy, David (Daniel Lapaine) if he was black.
7. The Wedding Date is a wedding movie in 2005, about a woman, Kat Ellis (Debra Messing) who hired a pseudo-fiancé Nick Mercer (Dermot Mulroney) to attend with her on her sister’s wedding because the ex-fiancé who dumped her two years prior is also the best man at the wedding. The most memorable scene is at the end when the sister’s groom, Ed and Nick were talking, and finally they both get back to the wedding. Nick proposes to Kat and Ed weds Amy.
8. Runaway Bride is a 1999 hit movie about Maggie Carpenter (Julia Roberts), a skittish bride with reputation of leaving fiancés in altars and a handsome journalist name Homer Graham “Ike” (Richard Gere). The most romantic scene is when Maggie asked Homer to marry her telling him that she knows she will regret it for the rest of her life if she didn’t.
9. Ghost of Girlfriends Past is a story about an incorrigible playboy Connor Mead (Matthew McConaughey meets again the girl he was truly in love with, Jenny Perotti (Jennifer Garner). The most memorable scene is when he chased his friend’s bride and tell her not to run away from him or else she will regret it like he did.
10. Monster in Law is a romantic wedding comedy and depicts what most brides would fear of – a mother-in-law they cannot get along with. The most memorable scene is when Charlie Cantilini (Jennifer Lopez) slapped Viola and later on stopped by a surprise guest- Viola’s own mother-in-law.